PDA

View Full Version : a very cold Boerboel

Tegan
09-30-2010, 02:39 PM
We are starting to get frost at night temps reaching to -4celcius. Bruiser is not enjoying the cold. This will be his first real winter!!! we will have roughly a foot of snow for 3 to 4 months solid and temps averaging -20celcius to -40celcius. I am looking for booties and coats for Bruiser since he hates the cold! Anybody have an recommendations????? I dont want to spend a huge amount of money. I need booties for him and my gsd so they dont get frost bite. I only need a jacket/coat for Bruiser my gsd is a long hair and the cold doesnt bother her. She sleeps in -20celcius in the shade shes a weird dog...... I am going to make a sweater for Bruiser but I want to get a waterproof shell. Or is I can find a good jacket/coat that will keep him warm enough I wont make a sweater. I cant decide waht kind of style I want for him. I really like shedrow blankets (horse style blanket) but part of the chest doesnt get covered. I also have to buy the coat online since I live in a small town and the only pet store doesnt have any jackets that woudl fit him....

Thanks Tegan

Lee May
10-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Hey Tegan, It gets cold here too, not as cold as where you are. Add some more fat to his diet and increase his food intake so he can bulk up for the cold. Good luck and Peace Lee

TopDog
10-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Tegan,

Is Bruiser a house dog that does not like to go out into the cold or is he an outside dog that is having a difficult time adjusting to the cold?

Tegan
10-06-2010, 01:54 AM
He is in/out dog he is in the house when weather is crappy but if its nice he is outside with my gsd. They have a covered porch adn a couch to lay on outside so if it does rain/snow they are covered. We are also going to be building them dog houses. In the winter time when its -40 they will be in the house most of the time

rudcar7
10-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi, how old is your BB? Where I live last winter was the worst in over 20 yrs with record breaking snow and my guys had as much fun in it as we did. My dogs are "where ever I am" dogs so if I am outside thats where they go but they are inside dogs and loved being outside in the snow. My son and I dug trails in the snow around the yard for them to run around and that was their excercise. I never thought about them needing protection from the cold but then again it doesnt get as cold here. You will have to post pics of him wearing his winter wear I would love to see it.

Tegan
10-06-2010, 03:04 PM
right now im just putting a human sweater on him when he starts to shiver hehe I will be buying him a shedrow "pony" style dog blanket when they go on sale in december. He just turned one at the end of september, he loved the snow last year but we used to live where it wasnt as cold (never got below -2C wherei used to live) now we will be experiencing a real winter average day will be -20c and a cold day will be -40c... BURRRRR hehe when i get soem pictures of him in his gear i will post them, i dont have booties for the dogs yet btu they will be getting those!! too many dogs in the area end up with frost bite and i dont want to chance that

Tegan
10-06-2010, 10:28 PM
heres some pictures of Bruiser in his human "gear"

TopDog
10-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Tegan,

Our winters are not like yours. So, an experienced answer I do not have. We average daytime temps of 10-30 degrees F and nightime temps about 0-20degrees F during our winter months. I have insulated (2x4 wall studed boxes for my outside dogs) and they do well. My mothers and puppies are in heated buildings. As for my indoor dogs some of them do not mind the cold and some hate it. I have a male that will hold it for ever if it is raining or very cold out. I guess he is a fair weather dog. I would think that in severe weather an indoor dog that is not allowed to acclimate itself to the elements over a extended period of time should not be left out long as frostbite and such, it would be more succeptable too. You being from a very hostile environment probably can answer your question far better than the rest of us southerners. I never thought I would be able to call myself a southerner but in this case, I guess that I am. Wind and water proof is my only suggestion.

O'Yea that must be one spoiled rotton boerboel. Mine would have chewed that sweater to pieces. :)

Tegan
10-08-2010, 12:47 AM
haha he is definatly spoiled!! but not spoiled where he gets away with everything. Thing with where iIlive every body has long haired dogs and they just dont pamper there dogs like I do. When the weather is constantly in the negatives Bruiser will be in the house and let out to play/train and go to the bathroom. But i want a coat and booties for when he is out. I have decided to get a shedrow blanket for him. http://www.greenhawk.net/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/scstore/p-BLS1595.html?L+scstore+fhnr9139ffd3a9d3+1286537195

All the other doggies int he neighbourhood will probably alugh at him but thats alright he will be warm!!!!
We are going to build dog houses for them as well. My gsd likes to be outside more then inside (she is long haired and we keep the house pretty warm)

Lee May
10-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Hey Tegan, nice pics with the sweater, that must be a Female thing guys just don't think about our dogs being cold when we should. nice job, I seems he likes it too. Good luck and stay warm up there. Hope you've got a wood stove. Burrrr! Peace

Tegan
10-10-2010, 02:12 PM
we do have a wood stove!! bought a blaze king this summer we will be cooking hot in the house!! Cut about 4 cords of wood already and need another 4 to go hopefully get it all done before the snow hits. We are suppsoed to get a lot of snow this year atleast thats what the farmers are saying.

Lee May
10-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Glad to see your on the ball, nothin warms the body and soul like a wood fire, it's worth all the spliting. Your BB is going to love the heat, Don't let him catch fire sitting to close. Good luck, keep warm. Lee

Tegan
10-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks :) Im loving the stove so far and we have half our wodd in so far about 3cords need atnother 3 to 4 cords then we are all set for winter time. Bruiser loves the fire place but he learnt the hard way to not touch it with his nose... thankfully the fire had been out for awhile and it wasnt burning hot.