Thread: Hi Folks

PinkFox

Default Hi Folks

Im obviously new to the forum and figured this was a good pace to start...

Im a 26 yr old single female currently located in Connecticut but hoping to close on a house with 3 acres in TN by the middle of July *fingers crossed*

I grew up in the UK where i divided my days between time on the canals, time on my grandfathers very small "farm" and time in our little suburb at home with my parents and siblings. We moved to the USA when i was 15 and have been in Connecticut since.

Growing up i was always surrounded by animals, and moving to the US didnt change that.
    And after graduating highschool at 16, I whent for my degree in animal sciences, and a certificate in animal training. Since then ive worked around dogs and other large animals my entire adult life, spent a few years in a vets office and another working at a dog daycare befor elanding my dream job at a private zoo where i was incharge of keeping and training some of their larger carnivores and apes.
    my favorites were the spotted hyena and african wild dogs, but the tigers, lions and orangutan were all amazing beasts to work so closely to.

Unfortunatly about 2 years in i suffered a head injury which has left me since "disabled" with seizures and cognitive issues (writing in sentences and spelling is incredibly difficult)
    around the same time as my injury i also had a breakup form a very long term (6 yr) relationship and have spent the past year feeling rather sorry for myself...

which led me to this place in my life. Ive been looking at moving away form ct for years now and finally the opportunity to do so has come up...assuming smooth sailing that is.
    And its because of this step that ive found myself on this forum...

Im moving to acreage, which eventually will be a small farm/homestead, im moving "alone" in terms of human companionship, and im moving rural lol.

ive been looking into getting a "big dog" once i move for quite some time now...and after alot of reserch i think the boerboel might just be perfect.

a large but compact dog
    protective but not unessicarily agressive (ie able to use its brain)
    all around farm dog
    large enough to pull a cart (not untill full grown of course and nothing huge, but help haul firewood or fallen logs)
    potential to become a service dog to assist with stability (so again large but compact)
    not typically animal agressive (i know as a breed they can be prone to same sex agression but im told this is typically more common between boerboel to boerboel...)
    and potential to be a good tracking/hunting partner who will also back up as an LGD somewhat.

the boerboel was the breed that seemed to come up positive for each of my requirements...I do worry a little about the dog agression aspect, i have 2 chinese cresteds, and obvisouly a boerboel vs a crestie we all know the winner in that one...but im hoping good socilization age apropriate neuter ect, and my expereince in handling "hard to manage" animals will help quell or at least correclty manage any potential issues.

im probbaly going to be looking for a male as my experience with male animals has been much more reliable than females, i LOVE my girl crestie, but shes definatly more random than my male lol.

so yeah, this became quite long quite quickly, i do have a tendency to rabmble sometimes.
    im hoping to join the ranks of boerboel ownership in the next 3-6 months and hoping to do justice to the GOOD boerboel owners!

With the size and temperament differences between your Chinese Cresteds and the Boerboel, it would be unlikely that as adults a male boerboel would feel challenged at all. As he matures physically and sexually, he will take a dominant position among them and that will likely go unchallenged by them. They will probably keep him in his place while he is a small puppy, but that won't last long. Males fight because both attempt to take the dominant position and neither of them back down. This is highly unlikely to happen with your Cresteds and an adult male Boerboel. You will of course need train your puppy early to prevent him from trying to take a dominant position with you, but this is true of any large dog.

PinkFox

i think thats true of any large animal lol. im expecting a boerboel to be alot like a hyena in terms of training, you need to establish a strong presence pretty dang quickly and keep it up in order to get even an ounce of respect form them...
    unlike tigers and lions the hyena were always thinking things through...is it worth it kind of things, the lions and tigers saw food and whent through the motions, but the hyena...oh no, always had to stay ontop of them...
    the orangutans were the same way, lol, too smart for their own good sometimes!

good to know there shouldnt be too many issues with the nekkid ones...
    most folks ive talked to say the same thing, that the boerboel wouldnt give even a relitilvy agressive small breed a second glance because they are smart enough to know that it wouldnt be worth the effort to fight something not even big enough to be snack sized.

my nekkid ones are typically very good with other dogs, my female (like all females) is queen of the hill when it comes to the other critters in the house, and im always more worried about 2 females hence wanting a male...but she has to be baited into it, and my male loves almost all dogs as long as theyll play chase with him lol
    Last edited by PinkFox; 05-25-2011 at 03:46 PM.

There will of course be some similarities to training a hyena, but not a lot. Hyenas possess a pervasive scavenger mentality so they are always focused on food because their survival methods are opportunistic in nature. As you probably know they are powerful killers, but survive primarily based on the advantages of the pack. As a result, their orientation socially, is much more like that of a wolf.

Boerboel males are in many ways the opposite in their mentality. They are individuals who have a pack hyerarchy only in terms of dominance, but socially males function much more like male lions. Boerboels certianly have some predatory abilities, but they were breed primarliy for protection, so they will also behave based largely on their protective instincts. A large, well breed male boerboel will bear some physical resemblance to a young male lion when in motion.

PinkFox

i love watching boerboels when they enter that half trot pace, they are such stunning animals, love to watch em "strut their stuff"