Thread: Help! Puppy has a hernia

Junior Member CaliforniaBoerboel's Avatar

Default Help! Puppy has a hernia

So i am getting my puppy in 4 days now and the breeder just informed me that he has an umbillical hernia from the mom pulling too hard when removing the umbillical cord. Does anybody have any experience with this happening to them? The breeder is being nice and is giving me $150 to have it removed when he is neutered but will that cover the cost? You can see the picture of the hernia on my pictures, ill upload it now. Thanks, CaliforniaBoerboel

Can't see pics? how bad is it California??

Well since i have no experience with this im not sure how bad it is yet. My daughter works at a no kill dog shelter and they get puppies occasionally and she said that for a puppy it seems to be pretty large. However she said that most times this shouldnt be anything to worry about. The breeder said that he could have it taken care of but since the pup is so little he might not make it out of anesthesia so he said he would give me $150 refund to have it taken care of when he gets neutered. Does anyone know if this would cover the cost because he also said that I can pick one of the brindle females that are left if i dont feel comfortable with following through with this.

Oh also im sorry i cant seem to figure out the whole picture thing. There are pictures of him at www.brownleesboerboels.com and he is the Green Boy.

I will have to look at the picture but will answer to the best of my ability for now.

In my opinion,

Generally a hernia is a minor surgical repair. If the animal is going to be sexually altered and not used for reproduction purposes then it is even less of an issue. Many hernias are considered a genetic defect and many will claim these puppies should not be bred. Somtimes that is the case and sometimes it isn't. If the hernia is a result of poorly developed muscle tissue then that would be something to consider for a breeding animal. This is usually the first accusation from most. In reality most hernias are caused by people whom trim the umbilical cord too short, or mothers whom have an under or overbite and do not have the ability to make a clean bite when severing the cord. The bite is of course a strong genetic issue. For a neutered / spayed pet, It won't be a big issue. 150 should be close to covering it as long as it is done along with the sexual alter. If done seperate it will run a bit higher.

Thank you TopDog and Lee May for your responses. I am not planning on breeding my puppy. The breeder also explained to me that the hernia is from the mother dog biting too close when removing the umbilical cord and doesn't believe that it is a genetic defect as he is the only puppy with the problem. However, if I did decide not to have my dog neutered I agree with the breeder and do not think that this puppy ha any genetic problems. Most likely however I will not be planning on this. Thanks again, CaliforniaBoerboel

California,

This trait showed up in a few pups I bred. The primary issue for a pet is that there is some small danger of flesh or blood vessels, intestinal parts pushing through the opening. If the opening is small, it may actually shrink, cutting off blood flow to anything pushed outside the intestinal wall. The wall is very fiberous and will usually develop a thickened rim around the opening. The main thing you will want to check is that the testicals have dropped. If they have not, then both are likely caused by the same gene and the dog will likely be sterile and require the undescended testes to be surgically removed to avoid becoming cancerous later in life (this surgery raises your expense potentially). Whether a pup should have the problem corrected by a simple surgery will depend on the size and shape of the opening. A few millimeters is relatively safe, but if the opening is the size of say a quarter, then the risk of problems increases significantly. The risk is also greater if the opening is not round in shape. Round ones often stay the same or may close up somewhat, irregular shapes I believe may actually grow larger as the puppy grows and these are far more serious.

By opening I am assuming you are talking about the buldge like feature. Yes, it does seem to be larger that a quarter and I have made an appointment with my vet, however I am probably going to find a new vet as this one is not very good and I have recently (last week) had some issues involving their doctors. The breeder took him to two vets up by where he lives and they both said that it should be fine, especially if we get it done when he is neutered. Also, Topdog I have looked into the pedigree and saw the mom in person and it seems that this was just the cause of a mistake by the mom as it is her first litter and she just bit too close. I believe this because as far as I know, my puppy has fairly good bloodlines. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all of the responses.
    CaliforniaBoerboel